Monday, June 15th
- $8 at the Post Office. Had to mail a couple package as well as buy some $.02 stamps since the rates went up.. AGAIN.
Tuesday, June 16th
- NO SPEND!!
As part of my no shopping, I want to think about the things that I do have and what things I use and what things are taking up space. I do periodic purges of my closet, but I know I tend to hold onto things for sentimental reasons. For example, I was talking to Eric about how I want to get a Ted Lilly (pitcher for the Cubs) shirt, since my Michael Barrett (ex-Cubs player) shirt isn't really applicable anymore. I don't really want to get rid of it because (1) Barrett was one of my favorite players and (2) one of my favorite memories of Eric is him wearing the shirt to the first of many Cubs games we've attended. His answer? "Well you have the picture of me in it... and you never wear it, so get rid of it." I could have justified this six ways to Sunday, but when it came down to it, he had a point. I have a current Cubs player shirt, I never wear the Barrett shirt, and really, I'm holding onto it for the memories, not because it's useful.
I've started reading the book Throw Out Fifty Things by Gail Blanke. It's interesting because she brings up points like that - how clutter (not only physical but mental) can be baggage. I think there's a lot to it. I've only started the book, so I'll give my thoughts on it after I'm done reading.
I did clean out a few drawers of my dresser... and promptly listed a few things on eBay. There's definitely nothing that will make me hundreds of dollars, but hey, money is money, right? :)
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I really need to go through my closet and get rid of things. The problem is a lot of the clothes that I know I would get rid of are things that people bought for me as gifts. I may not like the shirt itself, but I like that someone thought of me enough (or it reminded them of me enough) to buy it for me. It makes me feel bad to just throw it out or give it away. It feels mean. And, like you, I have sentimental attachments to certain clothes. Shirts mainly. I just have a hard time getting rid of clothing, because I know the minute an item is gone I'm going to have a reason to wear it. It ALWAYS happens like that, I can't even count how many times I've wondered aloud "Where is ___? Oh shit, I dropped it at Goodwill! Damn."
ReplyDeleteAlso, with all my old band shirts I've been saying for years I'm going to make pillows out of them. Maybe I should finally buy some stuffing and just do it. If I don't start at least one by the end of July they're all getting Ebay'd.