I feel like I'm starting to hit a wall with the no-shopping. I feel slightly embarassed to admit that because it's been all of 6-7 weeks. It should not feel like the end of the world if I cannot spend money on things I don't NEED. I think it's more the idea that I *can't* do something rather than I shouldn't.
I was telling Sara at dinner last night how I've been agonizing over these two books sitting in my Amazon cart for the past couple of weeks. One book I checked out at the library and LOVED, so I want to buy it (it's a cookbook, of course.). Usually with cookbooks I get from the library, I'll just flip and photocopy the pages I'm interested in. This book however, I'd probably end up photocopying the entire thing. That means purchasing. The other book my library doesn't have and I really want to read it. I might see if I can get it through the interlibrary loan system. But really, I'm dying to buy a book! haha.
The other thing I'm getting a little antsy on is fall clothing. I've been especially good about not looking at clothing websites. I even ended up selling my 40% coupon for AE on eBay as to not tempt myself. Last fall I wanted to buy a nice pair of brown boots... and so this fall... I still have the same desire. I bought a pair of nice black boots last fall and they definitely have gotten a lot of use. I just need brown now! I made the mistake of allowing myself to look at Piperlime. I have 5 pairs picked out that I will sort through come September.
The bonus of this no-shopping though, which is what I keep reminding myself... it's been a nice little help to my finances. The credit cards aren't being used, I'm saving more money... it's been good for me financially. That was really meant to be a huge part of why I did this, and it's been a great success. I just have to remember that I wasn't doing this to restrict me from doing things, but rather to benefit me financially.
Monday, July 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Stick with it Sarah, you can do it!
ReplyDeleteAlso what is the second book that you want so badly?
I've found that in the past 2 months, I've mostly stopped doing automatic shopping, meaning stopping at stores out of boredom or browsing online constantly. I feel like that alone is a big step!
ReplyDelete